Monday, November 16, 2009

Farm to Table

A couple of weeks ago, my husband returned from the Delta with BUCKETS of pomegranates, quince, pumpkins & persimmons. This was weeks after we cleaned out the 40 fig trees on the island to make our famous balsamic fig jam. My husband's business acquired a marina in the Delta last year, and attached is a bountiful 16 acre island. I have used the persimmons in salads, carved the pumpkins for Halloween, even gilded the pomegranates for the upcoming Thanksgiving centerpiece. The quince, however, was the big challenge! What is a quince??? It really is a cross between an apple and a pear, but the texture is awful! It definitely tastes better cooked. I recently catered a Spanish dinner and my client had purchased Manchego cheese and Membrillo. Membrillo is a Spanish quince paste, which is the quinced cooked down with lemon & sugar. Problem solved! I will make Membrillo to serve for the upcoming holidays. Hello! Make sure you have 2 days and a lot of patience! This was the most painstaking cooking project I have ever endured. I found a fabulous blogger online named Alejandra, as she chronicles her quince journey, so I credit her with the recipe. Check out her blog archive for November 2008 if you dare make the membrillo paste! The results: beautifully rich, burgundy colored paste that goes well with salty and creamy cheeses, Serrano ham or just on toast! Enjoy the fruits of your labor this season!